Category: For Riders
A Guide to Hailer / Using Hailer
To enjoy safe and pleasant rides with Hailer, you need to download the rider app first.
- You can install it on your mobile device by choosing your operation system below:
- Windows Phone (only cash payment)
- After installing the app, you just need to register for an account.
Alternatively you can create an account via the website by:
- Register for a Hailer user account at https://hailer.co.za
- Download the Hailer app at Google store or the Apple store
- Once installed log in with your registered account details
How to request a ride
- Select Set Pickup Location - enter your location.
- Select the destination.
- Enter a Promo code if you have a promotional code.
- Tap "Hail No" to get your ride.
- Wait for a driver to accept your request.
- When your request has been accepted, you'll see your driver's location on your map and an estimated time of arrival at your pickup location.
- The Hailer app will notify you when your driver is close to your pickup location.
Rating a ride
- When the ride ends you will receive a prompt at the end of your trip to rate the driver and the experience.
- You can tap to select the number of stars and optionally leave a comment.
- Please make sure to rate the ride as it ensures a better customer experience.
Getting a fare estimate
You can get a fare estimate in the rider app by following these steps:
- Enter your destination address in the "Set Pickup Location?" box.
- Select the type of car e.g. H_ECO or H-SUV.
- The cost of the trip will be displayed at the bottom as a range.
- These estimates do not include any promotions that are active on your account.
- Please keep in mind that traffic, weather, or any factors that extend the distance or duration of your ride can contribute to a difference
between your estimated and actual fare.
If you are experiencing technical issues aligned with ordering a ride, please consider the following solutions:
- Check if you have outstanding payments.
- As a last resort, kindly reinstall the app if nothing else fixes the problem.
If the issue persists, please contact our support team for a solution.
Failure to Sign in or Hail a ride
If you can't request a ride, it could be because of the following reasons:
- Check Google Play for android or App Store of iOS to see if you need to update the app.
- If needed, update your phone operating system.
- If the app is frozen, please restart your phone.
- You have an outstanding payment.
- Your payment method was declined on a previous trip.
- Hailer is currently unavailable in your location.
- There aren't any drivers in your area at this time. Please wait and try requesting again.
- You haven't confirmed your email or phone number. Check for verification messages from Hailer.
- If you don't have any, you may need to update your account settings.
Hailer expects a high standard of professionalism from our driver-partners. If you have experienced a ride that was below to this standard, we apologise.
To maintain safety and respect for everyone, it is against our policy for drivers to:
- Violate traffic regulations.
- Smoke, eat or drink during a ride.
- Be generally impolite r disrespectful.
Please let us know if you come across such acts/behavior. We will follow up on the incident and take appropriate action where necessary.
- As a rider, your ratings for drivers help us improve trip safety and quality.
- If you were in a dangerous situation or a victim of an accident, please contact us via reporting a safety incident.
Reporting a safety incident
Customer safety is our priority and hence we treat such incidents with utmost priority. We do not tolerate un professional rider/driver
behavior like aggressiveness, inappropriate physical contact, violence or any such misconducts.
If you were a victim of an unsafe or distressful situation, please contact our Support Team.
If you have been involved in an accident, please ensure that you and all parties are safe. Immediately notify the police and
paramedics if necessary and do not hesitate to let us know by contacting our Support Team or using the in-app SOS button if available.
If possible, attach any proof and as many details as possible when reporting this to our team.
Pricing and Payments
Adding or Updating a payment method
Adding and selecting a preferred payment method will allow you request a ride. Depending on your country and city, you can add
payment methods such as credit cards, cash, mobile money or a PayPal account. When a ride ends, your selected payment method is charged.
When hailing a ride, make sure to check that your preferred payment is selected.
Add a payment method
- Select "Set Pickup Location?" from your app menu.
- Tap Add Payment.
- Add a payment method by scanning a card, manually entering card info or adding an alternative payment type.
Trip cost higher than estimated price
You can get a price estimate before requesting a ride. If the final price is a lot higher than expected, possible reasons may be:
- Traffic delays.
- Driver's device had GPS/network issues.
- Parking/airport/toll fees were added to the price.
- Driver took a different route.
If you have further concerns regarding the final price, please contact our Support Team, and we will assist you.
Due to card pre-authorization, an extra cost may appear to have been charged to your account, but this is not an actual charge.
Extra charge on card
Hailer performs a temporary card verification hold (pre-authorisation) for all newly added (debit and credit) bank cards. This is done to checkabl
validity and minimise/avoid any fraudulent and unauthorised use of your card and information.
This hold may appear as an unknown charge, but it is not an actual charge. In other words, this amount never leaves your bank account, instead,
it is held for a certain period by your bank and made available shortly after.
The period of this verification hold may vary, depending on your banking institution. For any disputes or enquiries, please contact your bank.
Declined card payment
If you experience any problems when trying to pay by debit or credit card, please make sure to check the following:
- Your card has not expired.
- Intenet purchases for your card are enabled.
- You have not exceeded your monthly limit for online purchases.
- There aren't enough funds to pay for your ride. Our system will attempt billing your card after 24 hours, 7 days, 14 days and after 28 days.
- In order to protect your identity and funds, we may block your card payment in case of any unusual or suspected fraud activities.
If you need more details about an issue or nothing above applies to your card, please contact our support team.
If a charge from Hailer is declined by your payment method, you may be temporarily unable to request rides.
Your support will ask you to charge your outstanding balance to a payment method of your choice. If this payment method is declined,
please add a new payment profile and try again. Reach out to your bank to ensure your payment method is valid.
You can also pay an outstanding balance on hailer.co.za by:
- Select Payment from the menu.
- Update your payment.
- Select My Trips from the menu to review and pay your balance.
We'll be happy to help you settle an outstanding balance. Please confirm the payment method(s) you'd like us to charge. Check to
make sure these payment methods are already linked to your Hailer account.
Ride did not happen
If your card was charged for a trip you did not take, please contact our support team.
For first time users, it may appear that you receive an unknown charge before or after requesting a ride. Please note that this is not
an actual charge but a verification hold to check the validity of your card. See Extra Charge on Card for more info on this.
Unable to add a card
For most riders, (debit and credit) card payments are preferred and convenient, but there may be some issues when adding this payment method.
Here is some simple information that may help you out:
- Make sure the credit or debit card details you entered are correct.
- Hailer only allows the use of MasterCard and Visa.
- Make sure your debit or credit card issuer allows online payments in the local currency.
If nothing above helps, please contact our Support Team.
Resend trip receipt
At the end of your ride, you will receive a receipt in the email linked to your Hailer account.
You can easily resend the receipt on your own. Just follow these steps:
- Go to the Main menu (top left corner).
- Tap on History.
- Select the ride.
- Tap Resend receipt.
Removing a Card
If for some reason you want to remove your card, follow these steps:
- Go to the Main menu and select Payments.
- Select the line with card number.
- The delete option will appear to remove the card.
Updating account details
Changing email address
You can access your profile to change your email address through the following steps:
- Tap on the Main menu.
- Select your profile.
- tap on the appropriate box field that you want to edit.
Changing phone number
Every user account is associated with a specific phone number which cannot be changed. You can use a new
number on the app by creating a new account.
- Go to your profile under the Main menu (top let corner).
- Tap on the layout icon.
- Enter your new phone number and confirmation code received via SMS.
A new account will not reflect your previous ride history.
Changing/updating your address
You can save and edit most frequently used addresses such as home and work, which will be auto-filled when ordering rides.
To do this:
- Tap on the Main menu.
- Select your Profile.
- Tap on the address field to add/edit.
If you are trying to order a ride, but your app shows a message that your account has been blocked, please take a look
at the possible reasons:
- Multiple pending payments.
- Using cards that have been reported as stolen or lost.
- Abusing the invite-a-friend code sharing.
- Suspected of using a false email address.
- Bad ratings/feedback from drivers.
Please contact our support team, we will clarify the situation and guide you to a solution.
Deleting your account
Let us know if there is a problem we can help you resolve to have you remain on our platform as
deleting an account is permanent.
If you, however, decide to stop using Hailer, please contact our Support Team by submitting a
request for deleting your account.
Once your account has been deleted, you will not be able to restore it. Deactivating your account
will also permanently remove any credit or promotions to your account.
After account deletion, Hailer keeps some information such as invoices and payments data based on